Dental Implants – Don Mills
A dental implant is typically a titanium screw, known as a "root" device, used to support tooth restorations.
Dental implants are root-form endosseous implants - they appear similar to a natural tooth root ("root-form") and are implanted in the bone ("endo-osseous") of the jaw. The implant(s) replaces the root of missing teeth. The implant is bonded with the surrounding bone and serves as the ‘bridge’ for the replacement tooth.
The dental implants have the look, feel and function of a natural tooth and preserve the integrity of facial structure while eliminating the discomfort of living with a missing tooth, allowing for better chewing, speech and a great smile.
Benefits of Dental Implants
There are several reasons why dental implants may be the right option to replace a missing tooth or set of teeth. They include:
- They cost less.
- They offer a permanent solution.
- Once implants get placed into your jawbone, you won’t have to worry about any future bone loss in that area, which is vital to the health of your other teeth
- Implants are very much like having your own natural teeth. They look and feel just like your real teeth
- When properly maintained by your dentist, implants have been shown to last up to 20 years or longer
- Unlike your natural teeth or a bridge, you can’t get a cavity with implants
- Implants can give you the smile you’ve always wanted!